Prior to joining Ankura, Chris most recently served as the head of healthcare private equity placements at Piper Jaffray, where he led Piper’s efforts to provide privately held companies with financing solutions through the private placement of equity and equity-linked securities. He previously was a director with MTS Health Partners, a healthcare-focused merchant bank, where he focused on privately negotiated financings for life science companies. Earlier in his career, Chris held positions with Banc of America Securities, MicroCapital, and Robertson Stephens. He began his professional career as a corporate and transactional attorney, working in mergers and acquisitions, real estate, securities, telecommunications, and energy law.
Chris’ professional experience includes:
- Strategic Advisory: Provided independent strategic and business development services for privately held biotech companies. Chris served as the interim head of business development, including managing a multi-pronged capital formation campaign, investor targeting and outreach, drafting documents and negotiating the terms of bridge, preferred, Regulation A and crowd funding (CF) financings, and negotiating and securing a key drug in-license agreement with a multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Capital Advisory: At Piper Jaffray, oversaw and managed a team of analysts and associates in multiple successful capital-raising campaigns for privately-held clients, including: $75 million for a NGS molecular diagnostics company; $40 million for a novel drug-delivery company; $50 million for a late-stage immuno-oncology company; and $25 million in conjunction with a reverse-merger of a privately held specialty pharmaceuticals company with a failed publicly-traded biotechnology company.
- Private Equity Placements: Sourced, managed, structured, and placed privately negotiated financing transactions for multiple publicly-traded life sciences companies, including a $37 million financing for a, late-stage, cardiovascular therapeutics company; a $75 million financing in conjunction with a reverse-merger of a failed public company and a privately-held orphan disease company; and a $60 million follow-on public offering for a specialty pharma company.
- Transaction Structuring: During his career, Chris has guided efforts on nearly 100 financing transactions for both public and private companies while working on traditional private placements, PIPEs, registered directs and follow-on public offerings. Structures have included transactions involving issuance of common stock, preferred stock, convertible debt, self-liquidating debt, and various forms of warrants.
- Hedge Fund Investor: Began as an equity research analyst and increasingly took on greater responsibility within a boutique hedge fund, including functioning as CFO and internal counsel, and overseeing operations of the firm and the funds
- Technology Investment Banking: Played an integral role on the transaction teams working on four successful initial public offerings of software companies.