Peter J. Hardigan is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura Capital Advisors based in New York. Peter is a seasoned executive and advisor with over 15 years of experience working with intellectual property (IP) in a range of business disciplines. He has held C-suite roles at firms focused on the licensing and commercialization of patents and patented technology. Peter has also provided IP advisory services to attorneys, Fortune 500 companies, and institutional investors engaged in development of patented technology, IP licensing, IP transactions, and IP disputes within a number of industry sectors.
Peter’s professional experience includes:
- Retained by B2B location-based-services software firm to assess strategic options for sale, licensing, or new investment.
- Retained by IP licensing firm to assess strategic options for pursuing new licensing initiatives.
- Retained by an innovator lighting company to assess strategic options for licensing a standards-essential patent portfolio.
- Retained by AMLAW 100 firm on use of third-party funding for IP litigation.
- Retained by private equity firm to assess options for licensing next-generation imaging and microfluidics portfolios.
- Retained by one of the US’s largest healthcare provider organizations to evaluate new IP and provide strategic and operational guidance on IP licensing and commercialization.
- Retained to lead business development and patent licensing for a medical device incubator that has generated a patent portfolio of over 200 US patent filings and eight spin-out companies, which have received over $240 million in private investment.
- Retained by the general counsel of a direct marketing company to provide strategy and operational guidance on market entry for a range of consumer products in North America and Asia.
- Engaged by an open innovation platform in the life sciences sector to support a restructuring and to advise on an ongoing IP dispute.
- Retained by the owners of a medical device company, including negotiating a settlement to resolve a material contract dispute, monetizing the company’s patent portfolio, and raising new capital.
- Acted as COO of a publicly listed counterfeit deterrence technology company with 100 US employees and ~$20 million in annual revenue. Established and managed IP investment process, including building diligence team and leading investment committee; directed a range of other corporate initiatives, including, acquisitions and partnerships, business development, new product development, rationalization of historical operations, hiring and personnel development, establishing new corporate locations, etc.
- Engaged to provide strategic and transactional support for patent licensing entity in the media sector with $250 million in historical revenues.
- Built and ran investment management and finance function at a private IP advisory firm with historical licensing revenues in excess of $600 million.
- Engaged by an EU investment fund with AUM of €100 million to oversee fund management for a 250+ patent portfolio, including day-to-day oversight of a 25-person team in five technology sectors in the US and EU.
- Engaged by Fortune 500 energy firm to evaluate the company’s IP portfolio for significant licensing and sale opportunities.
- Engaged by Fortune 500 technology firm to assess the IP finance marketplace and provide guidance on potential partnership and investment opportunities.
- Engaged by Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company to evaluate IP licensing opportunities within its diversified products portfolio.
IP Advisory Services:
- Raised non-recourse debt from a specialty finance investment firm to capitalize LED technology company.
- Retained by LED technology company as advisor to secure strategic growth capital in advance of a national rollout of its patented technology.
- Raised non-recourse debt from a specialty IP finance investment firm to recapitalize a closely held wireless telecommunications company.
- Raised Series B preferred equity round with ortune 500 strategic investor as lead for a medical device company with pioneering IP in the critical care space.
- Raised non-recourse debt from institutional investors to fund IP licensing in the technology sector.
- Managed all aspects of acquisition of IP licensing company by public counterfeit deterrence technology company.
- Raised preferred equity private placement with institutional investors for an IP licensing company.
- Advised activist investors in bid for AOL IP portfolio (ultimately a $1.1 billion acquisition by Microsoft) and other significant transactions.
- Raised debt financing round with a hedge fund for an IP licensing company.